Published June 20, 2023
Mikana is hiring! – Communications Officer
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations and in collaboration with the rest of the team, the Communications Manager will fulfill duties related to communications and the management of communication tools within the framework of the realization of specific projects of the organization and its mission in the context of specific projects linked to the organization’s mission.
- Establish strategic communication plans and recommendations for the organization’s core services;
- Draft different communication products for internal and external clients (i.e. press releases, internal newsletter, annual report, social media, etc.);
- Act as a communications adviser & collaborate with the Management team for the organization’s internal and external communication strategy;
- Manage media requests and press releases distribution;
- Work in collaboration with the Indigenous Youth members of our Ambassador Program and with other partners in the development of educational content for the public (i.e. infographics, presentations, video clips, etc.).
Here are some examples of assignments the Communications Manager will be called to work on:
- Assist in promoting the organization’s different initiative (i.e. educational activities, launch of educational tools, etc.);
- Manage the organization’s external communication tools (social media, newsletter, website, etc.);
- Coordinate website content updates and modifications;
- Develop the organization’s communication plan and policy.
- Job Category: Full time
- Number of hours: 28 to 35 hours per week (to be discussed)
- Remuneration: $29 to $33/hour, depending on demonstrated skills and experience and current salary policy. A new salary policy is being developed and salaries will be adjusted upwards during 2023.
- Workplace: Mostly work from home with opportunities for occasional face-to-face meetings in Montreal
- Other working conditions: 6% (3 weeks) of vacation time, one day of wellness leave for each month worked (in addition to sick leave and leaves for family responsibilities), two weeks of additional paid vacation during the holiday season, and more. A more comprehensive benefits plan will be implemented as of April 1, 2023
Desired qualifications and skills :
- Interpersonal skills, tact, diplomacy;
- Fluency in English and French (written and oral) required. Knowledge of an Indigenous language is an asset;
- Availability to work evenings and weekends occasionally;
- Good knowledge of Google Workspace (Gmail, Drive, etc.), Slack and Zoom. Good knowledge of Canva Pro is an asset;
- Experience living and/or working with Indigenous people, communities and organizations;
- Organized and ability to manage priorities;
- Good ability to work independently with a high degree of responsibility.
Hiring priority: People from First Nations, Inuit and Métis.
- We also encourage applications from youth, Elders, racialized people, immigrants, members of the 2SLGBTQIAA+ community, people with disabilities, etc. (this list is not exhaustive and we recognize that these experiences can overlap).
- Mikana strongly values Indigenous expertise and will happily consider the lived experience of candidates in place of formal education
- If you identify with one or more of the above-mentioned groups and/or have a lived experience that you would like to be considered, you may mention it in your application. This information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION no later than Friday, July 7, 2023, at 4:30PM.
Please send your resume with references and a cover letter or video/audio to email@example.com
Please write “Application for the Communications Officer position” in the subject line of the email.
Clic here to download the PDF version the job offer: https://www.mikana.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Job-Offer-Communication-Officer-ENG.docx.pdf